> I've run KDE and Konqueror on a P120 with 64 MB, and it was fine.

Wow.  On mine, every click of a browser (mozilla, konquerer, galeon) sends
the cpu up to 100% and takes many seconds (~10 or 20) to get going.  ~10
seconds for actions like upping the zoom level.

Were you using an older, lighter version of KDE?  Or is there something i
need to tune?  I tried to turn off the services i didn't need, etc, but this
is my first real whack at linux, so ...

Just for the record, i do realize that i am installing 2003 software on a
1996 machine. :)

Thanks to Wahur, Derek and DissectingTable for the great tips. I definitely
know where to start, now!

huff