On Wednesday April 2 2003 04:33 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Thankyou all.
> I must say you learn something new every day. I did not know you
> could call XFdrake from the system terminal like that. However:-
>
> Francisco Alcaraz wrote:
> >Richard,
> >
> >For me the rpms from textar runed perfectly (well, there are some
> > NVIDIA bugs but it is a Nvidia problem).
> >
> >Start in mode 3 (text)
> >
> >login as root
> >
> >rpm -ivh Nvidia_kernel...
> >rpm -ivh Nvidia-GLX
>
> Well of course I already had the two packages installed , and that
> is what it confirmed.
>
> NVIDIA_kernel-1.0tex-4191.i586.rpm
> NVIDIA_GLX-1.0tex-4191.i586.rpm,
> already installed.

       If you updated to 9.1, rather than a fresh install, these rpms
were probly old left over ones, used against your old kernel.  When
you got the "already installed" mesg, you should have uninstalled the
rpms and then re-installed them against the new kernel, or even
easier use 'rpm -Uvh --force NVIDIA*' to replace the old ones.  Since
you've now modified the kernel, you should re-boot at this point,
after making sure your XFree config file has 'nvidia' and not 'nv' as
the driver.