Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Wednesday April 2 2003 04:33 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Thankyou all.
I must say you learn something new every day. I did not know you
could call XFdrake from the system terminal like that. However:-

Francisco Alcaraz wrote:

Richard,

For me the rpms from textar runed perfectly (well, there are some
NVIDIA bugs but it is a Nvidia problem).

Start in mode 3 (text)

login as root

rpm -ivh Nvidia_kernel...
rpm -ivh Nvidia-GLX

Well of course I already had the two packages installed , and that
is what it confirmed.

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0tex-4191.i586.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0tex-4191.i586.rpm,
already installed.

If you updated to 9.1, rather than a fresh install, these rpms were probly old left over ones, used against your old kernel.

No, This is a straight M9.1beta2 install with the above nvidia rpms installed from desktop, with the "NVIDIA" piece added to /etc/X11/XFee86-4.

When you got the "already installed" mesg, you should have uninstalled the

Well, in effect that is how it is. No old kernel in use here.

rpms and then re-installed them against the new kernel, or even easier use 'rpm -Uvh --force NVIDIA*' to replace the old ones. Since you've now modified the kernel, you should re-boot at this point, after making sure your XFree config file has 'nvidia' and not 'nv' as the driver.

Then, XFdrake; select your graphic card but in the propietary
Nvidia point,

trouble is all I have is the generic GeForce option, and while I
played with all the available options , nothing , not any
resolution or colour depth would test.

not in the XFree86-4.3 one; accept and XF86Config-4 will be
correctly updated.

Then you can start X

Regards

So I gave up on that situation went back to a root terminal and
removed both NVIDIA packages, then called up XFdrake and reset the
Generic Gefore driver settings again, so I am now back on desktop
with the old generic driver but with poor resolution and sticky
cursor. I have to keep going ctrl-Alt + F1 , then crt-Alt + F7 to
unstick the cursor. This situation has all the hallmark of a dodgy
Xdriver situation, but I cannot get the texstar nvidia drivers to
work as yet.

Why don't I try Nvidia's own drivers ? do they not work in M9.1

John

I have now repeated thing with the Nvidia website rpms as well with just the same result as the texstar rpms.

I don't know what is wrong, seems like the nvidia rpms install in the sense that they are there and available for use, but that the XFdrake configuration tool is unable to recognise that it has the option to use them.
Well that is how it seems to me , I could be wrong ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]