Do you realize how geeky this sound to a non-initiated linux user like me?
Whoa.

At 09:57 PM 03/04/2003 -0500, you wrote:
I have a strange problem that I can't find how to fix, I'm hoping
someone might have a solution or at least a hint.

After my first boot in 9.1 where everything worked fine (booted into
KDE, changed a few settings, added 2 lines to my modules.conf so sound
would work on my laptop) I rebooted and MDKKDM seemed to load properly,
but logging on to any of the listed window managers only results in a
background and a plain X-Console, nothing else...zip.  zero.  nada.

I was able to su to root, init 3 and do a startx into KDE which worked
fine.  So I used MCC to switch to KDM.  KDM gives me the same exact
result.

I then switched to GDM and that works.  However I'd really like to fix
KDM, as I like that one better.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Frank

--