On Thursday 03 April 2003 07:53 am, Lucio_Costa wrote:
> Depends what U wanbt to run...
> Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows
> API on top of X and Unix.
>
> Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine
> does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a
> completely alternative implementation consisting of
> 100% Microsoft-free code, but it can optionally use
> native system DLLs if they are available. Wine
> provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for
> porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader,
> allowing many unmodified Windows binaries to run on
> x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and
> Solaris.
>
> More information can be read in the articles Why Wine
> is so important (http://www.winehq.com/?page=why)
>
> In VMWare u need a Windows license to install in it.
> VMware Workstation is virtual machine software for
> technical professionals. It lets you run multiple
> versions of operating systems simultaneously on a
> single computer. Quit wasting time configuring
> hardware, installing software, rebooting/reconfiguring
> systems. Spend more time developing, testing, and
> deploying applications and delivering support.
>
> I think this is the most important thing to say.

[Deleted]

I dual boot between LM9.0 and win2k. The win2k applications I want are already
installed on the win2k. Will I have to install them again on LM9.0 in order
to use wine? Or can wine on LM9.0 run those applications that are already
installed on the win2k (the win2k is on a FAT32 partition).

Thanx,

Seedkum