One problem with supermount is that if you mount/umount anything
manually you will upset it, and it's a devil of a job to get it
soothed, short of rebooting.  In my experience, as long as you simple
allow supermount to do its job, mounting automatically when you put
the disk in, and unmounting when you eject, it works fine.  BUT - if
you have any Konqueror windows open it will not umount - because
Konqueror is still reading it for indexing purposes.  This is when
it's tempting to think that something is wrong and try to force it
with a manual umount.

First - have you tried just logging out and back in?  Sometimes that
cleans up after mistakes.  If that doesn't help, try re-booting.
Then try to make yourself stick rigidly to the 'close all browsing
windows' rule before ejecting, and see if that cures it.

If none of this applies to you, sorry - I don't know how much
experience you have, so don't be offended.

Anne