On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 14:25, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
On Friday 06 June 2003 01:39 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This morning I updated my 9.0 to 9.1 without a hitch except for sound -
> there isn't any.  The system is recognizing my sound card OK and I've
> checked all of the sound settings that I can find, but no joy!
>
> This exact same thing happened when I updated my laptop to 9.1 and,
> mysteriously, it just started working one day without warning!
>
> Any hints about where to look to get the sound going again?
>
> Rich

Rich, was it system sound or sound from games/apps? Sometimes arts will grab
something like /dev/dsp and not let go unless you kill it. If for example, I
start Starcraft (WineX) and there is no sound, I su to root and do a:

lsof /dev/dsp

and it will tell me if arts has a hold of it.
It's system sounds.  I haven't tried any games/apps yet.

Rich