Title: RE: [newbie] Sound Problems in MDK 9.1

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 2:32 PM
To: Mandrake
Subject: Re: [newbie] Sound Problems in MDK 9.1

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 14:25, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
On Friday 06 June 2003 01:39 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This morning I updated my 9.0 to 9.1 without a hitch except for sound -
> there isn't any.  The system is recognizing my sound card OK and I've
> checked all of the sound settings that I can find, but no joy!
>
> This exact same thing happened when I updated my laptop to 9.1 and,
> mysteriously, it just started working one day without warning!
>
> Any hints about where to look to get the sound going again?
>
> Rich

Rich, was it system sound or sound from games/apps? Sometimes arts will grab
something like /dev/dsp and not let go unless you kill it. If for example, I
start Starcraft (WineX) and there is no sound, I su to root and do a:

lsof /dev/dsp

and it will tell me if arts has a hold of it.
It's system sounds.  I haven't tried any games/apps yet.

Rich
Rich, I had to append "noapic" to my lilo boot commands and then system sounds worked. You can do it in MCC by just adding the words noapic to the append line. HTH Dennis M.