Ok...the dsl is etnernet connected...
but i don't have the dns numbers ...guess i'll have to
call up verizon and ask them...to provode the dns numbers..

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Brian Parish
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 6:52 AM
To: newbie
Subject: Re: [newbie] Ok another address change

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 00:32, KVPSTAFF wrote:
> Ok people...
> this is Kit again of [EMAIL PROTECTED] fame...lol
>
> I'm now connected to DSL under verizon service.
>
> I'm setting up linux mandrake 9.0 right now...
> and later 9.1 (after downloading it)
>
> this is the config ihave right this moment:
>
> a windows 2000 pro machine,
> networked with 2 other w2k pro machines,
> and a mandrake linux only machine....
> using a INTEL InBusiness 5 port hub.
>
> every machine sees each other...but only the DSL connection is on
> the windows 2k pro setup with verizon DSL.....
>
> I'm trying to get linux to now see the windows box...so that i can then
> setup the dsl connection to share with the windows boxes...
> I would appreciate some help with this...anyone care to lend a hand?
>
> KVP-PC Staff
> http://www.kvp-pc.com

Let's ignore for the moment the fact that it would make more sense for
you to connect the linux machine to the DSL and use it as a gateway and
firewall for the windoze clients.  Maybe that can be version 2.

If DSL is working from W2K, all you need to do is switch on internet
connection sharing there and then set the address of that machine as the
gateway for your linux box.  You can set the gateway address using the
control center, using the internet connection wizard.

You will also need the address(es) of the DNS inserted into a file
called: /etc/resolv.conf

It should look like:

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The first address is that of the primary DNS, then the secondary.  You
can have as many of these as your ISP provides.

That's all that's required, but as said above, it would make a lot more
sense to front-end with linux.  Is your DSL modem ethernet connected or
USB?  If it's ethernet, then getting the linux gateway config going is
really easy.  If USB, then the answer is always "it depends".

Anyway, make a start and post more questions.  You'll find plenty of
people here who can help you make this work.

HTH
Brian