-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Joe Hill
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 8:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Ok another address change

On Thu, 29 May 2003 20:32:50 -0400
"KVPSTAFF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> a windows 2000 pro machine,
> networked with 2 other w2k pro machines,
> and a mandrake linux only machine....
> using a INTEL InBusiness 5 port hub.
>
> every machine sees each other...but only the DSL connection is on
> the windows 2k pro setup with verizon DSL.....
>
> I'm trying to get linux to now see the windows box...so that i can
> then setup the dsl connection to share with the windows boxes...
> I would appreciate some help with this...anyone care to lend a hand?

1. Plug in a router/firewall/NAT between the DSL connection and the
hub. If you have an old Pentium kickin around with just a floppy drive,
that's all you need. There are plenty of kickass floppy-based Linux
firewalls you can snag for free.

2. Done.

or:

1. Configure your Mandrake box as a firewall/router/NAT which is a lot
more complicated and time consuming, IMHO, but will teach you lots about
how firewalls, NAT, and routing work. There should be an internet
connection sharing wizard in MCC though, I am not sure if it takes care
of all that.

I *always* recommend a dedicated firewall/NAT, no foolin around, learn
IPTables later.

IMO.

--  Joehill
 Registered Linux user #282046
 See where I sit all day: http://nodex.sytes.net
 20:43:30 up 2 days, 10:05,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.00, 0.00