Ronald; Try login in as a normal user, "su -" to root, and run "kcontrol". When you
get there, open Look & Feel, and then Behaviour. You're looking for a checkbox to show
desktop icons. Check the box, apply, close, and restart X.

I had a similar problem where my mouse pointer would stay "busy", until I found this
option. For some reason, KDE keeps looking for the desktop icons even though they're
not selected by default.

No guarantee that this will work, but odds are that this is causing your problem,
assuming that you're running KDE ( I think! ). Grin! Grin!

Lanman