Cody Harris wrote:

At 03:37 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:

On Monday 02 June 2003 02:53 pm, Cody Harris graced me with:
> Ok, scenario:
> I have a laptop with Windoze 95 on it. It's partition is "Pri DOS".
> I cannot read this from a boot disk and can not log into Windoze
> (PC/DACS disabled my login after windoze fudged up after installing
> a PC CARD (network)). I tried removing the hard drive and
> installing it on my computer, but the cable is a different size.
> It's 48 MB with a P1. My question is: how do i get onto the drive,
> send my files over the network, and format without installing a
> full version of Linux.
>
> Remember: I don't want anything to be written to the drive, so i
> need a version that can either run across a network or from a disk.
>
> Any other suggestions welcome!

Hey, Cody,

I'm not sure that I am reading your post correctly, so please help me
out and forgive if I am way off....

Are you trying to run Linux without installing to your hard drive, or
to recover data off your hard drive, or what? I'm confused with your
purpose, that's all. :-)

Recover data

Since I am not sure what you want to do, you could take this for what
it's worth.....

Knoppix is designed to run off the CD-ROM drive. If this portable
beastie is blessed with a CD-ROM drive, you could run that and never
really have to use your hard drive for it. There are some
caveats...and they would be big ones for you:

Knoppix, at least a modern copy, is going to need lots of RAM. That's
where all your important directories and files that need to loaded
are put (like /home, for instance). It essentially divides up and
uses your RAM memory as if it was your hard drive. Once you turn of
your computer, all is lost (though you could opt to save configs to
the hard drive so that you wouldn't have to re-config each time you
boot-up...your choice, there.) If I read your post correctly, your
laptop only has 48 MB of RAM. Did I? That's not enough for this. If I
understood that your P1 refers to a Pentium Classic, a P233 MHz is
going to be the bottom end and still be able to run KDE or Gnome. At
least this is what I experienced on a test PC running a P233 with 128
MB RAM, using Knoppix 3.2.

If ram is limited, you may want to take a look at http://www.linx-bbc.org and their verstion 2.1. It can run on a lot less ram and has all the essential tools you would need.

Barry