On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 00:02, Azrael wrote:

> The rip occured without problem. It was while the encoding process was
> happening that the system hung - so not related to the dvd itself. Just
> converting home movies aswell.. so no chance of it being any dvd
> encryption playing me up either.

Is it safe to assume that you've already checked through the system logs
to see if anything was "out of place" as it were?
(/var/log/messages) (yet another reason I like having xlogmaster as a
tool for quickly combing through log files)

--
Thu Jun  5 00:15:00 EST 2003
 00:15:00 up  1:08,  3 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.47, 0.29

> > Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I
> > should use Linux over BSD?
>
> No.  That's it.  The cool name, that is.  We worked very hard on
> creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it
> certainly paid off: thousands of people are using linux just to be able
> to say "OS/2? Hah.  I've got Linux.  What a cool name".  386BSD made the
> mistake of putting a lot of numbers and weird abbreviations into the
> name, and is scaring away a lot of people just because it sounds too
> technical.
(Linus Torvalds' follow-up to a question about Linux)