On Sunday 08 Jun 2003 11:24 pm, rikona wrote:
> Hello Dennis,
>
> Sunday, June 8, 2003, 2:38:24 PM, you wrote:
>
> DM> Well I don't get much spam, but spamassassin has now been set up
> DM> to use bysean (spelling?) algorythms and has caught 100% of the
> DM> spam I have been sent.
>
> A question: does SA come with a separate set of 'rules', as
> SpamBouncer did? If not, how is it updated? Does the entire program
> get updated to keep up with the spammers?

Spamassassin runs a suite of over 50 tests
http://eu.spamassassin.org/tests.html
some of which are the conventional style 'look for strings  common in spams',
while others look for evidence of fabricated headers, others refer to online
databases of known spam sources or known spam mail checksums.
Finally the latest techique is to use Baysian analysis to calculate the
probability of a group of words appearing in a spam mail based on a textual
analysis of every mail spam and non spam you have ever received.
See here for a description of Bayes algorithms
http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html

Spamassassin does not rely on any one of these techniques to identfy spam.
They all combine to reach a conclusion.
See also
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6669

Spamassassin does need to be updated periodically since spammers specifically
set out to try to get low spamassassin scores, but updating consists simply
of 'urpmi spamassassin'

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net