----- Original Message -----
From: "eric huff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 12:25
Subject: Re: [newbie] How to create a symbolic link?

> > and that's probably where apropos comes in
> > (see last line of included output)
>
> I was just about to mention apropos, but check out my output:  no ln
> command.
>
> I definitely have ln, and a man page for it...
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] huff]$ apropos link
> NETLINK_ROUTE [rtnetlink] (7)  - Linux IPv4 routing socket
> PF_NETLINK [netlink] (7)  - Communication between kernel and user
> _skb_unlink [skb_unlink] (9)  - remove an sk_buff from its list
> dlclose [dlopen]     (3)  - Programming interface to dynamic linking
loader
> dlerror [dlopen]     (3)  - Programming interface to dynamic linking
loader
> dlopen               (3)  - Programming interface to dynamic linking
loader
> dlsym [dlopen]       (3)  - Programming interface to dynamic linking
loader
> link                 (2)  - make a new name for a file
> netlink              (3)  - Netlink macros
> netlink              (7)  - Communication between kernel and user
> readlink             (2)  - read value of a symbolic link
> rtnetlink            (3)  - Macros to manipuate rtnetlink messages
> rtnetlink            (7)  - Linux IPv4 routing socket
> shm_open             (3)  - Create/open or unlink POSIX shared memory
> objects
> shm_unlink [shm_open] (3)  - Create/open or unlink POSIX shared memory
> objects
> skb_unlink           (9)  - remove an sk_buff from its list
> symlink              (2)  - make a new name for a file
> unlink               (2)  - delete a name and possibly the file it refers

i suspect a combination of mandrake versions and installation type can mess
up apropos.

in my quoted case, i was using mandrake 9.1, text-install, and minimal
choice of packages.

i realised that man-pages-whateverversion.rpm wasn't installed, and apropos
as a result didn't show many otherwise useful possibilities until i added
man-pages.whatever.rpm manually using urpmi.

on my mandrake 9.0 system, apropos fails completely, showing no output for
even common stuff, eg
    # apropos cp
    cp: nothing appropriate

running makewhatis results in the following error.

    # makewhatis
    /usr/sbin/makewhatis: line 156: cd: /usr/man: No such file or directory

i just left it alone, since i do most of my work (except email) on my
mandrake 9.1 system anyway.