On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 22:10, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2003 08:43 pm, Aron Smith wrote:

> > > Right awn, Brother!
> >
> > who needs ads in Shockwave? usually I find sites that insist on
> > Shockwave are not worth watching.

> It is a minor problem here. I do some surfing with 3 year old grandson at
> various kiddie sites that intermingle Flash and Shockwave stuff (mostly
> www.nickjr.com). Will doesn't want to hear about OSS vs proprietary, nor the
> evilness of all things Microsoft; he just wants to play the game.

Fortunately, both my daughters are of adults. I got past that issue long
ago. Grandchilden are a ways away. By then, Linux will be he 'de facto'
O/S and this will have been a moot point for me. ;0)

When I was giving Richard a '70s "Right on!", I was replying to the time
period I speculated his comment of age, clothes, etc., were based on. I
have no personal issues against Shockwave, or any other display media
that can enrichen my experience on the Web. My complaints come when the
Webmaster takes such liberties as to not allow for visitors'
preferences. Those with bandwidth restrictions and/or have throttled
down their browsers for whatever their reasons shouldn't be forced to
endure these presentations. I have visited sites that used Flash and
Shockwave as a means to give a presentation in an environment of choice
and need. Both are excellent ways to give someone a tour of your product
or explanation of how your service works. It's the opening message crap
that is annoying and not fair to many. So, I would like to see all of
these rich mediums come to Linux.

Your Grandson's attitude about just wanting it to work is shared by all
youth of today ( many spouses, I do imagine.) My youngest is 19 and
she'd say exactly the same thing. Unfortunately, I could say the same
for my wife.:0[