On Monday 16 June 2003 09:37 am, Derek Jennings wrote:

> Well assuming you are using Dhcp then how are you managing to resolve the
> hostnames?
> When you ask to ping a host your system will first go to /etc/hosts to see
> if there is an entry there (that was a mistake in my original post. I said
> fstab by mistake) if there is no entry in hosts, it will go and ask the DNS
> server.

Thats the ticket, I do have IP addressess/aliases in my /etc/hosts file. Here
it is:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] darklord]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.0.100           darkforce.ky.org darkforce
192.168.0.101           darkforce2.ky.org darkforce2
192.168.0.102           darkforce3.ky.org darkforce3

> If you have a router assigning IP addresses then the router might be able
> to tell you, but I have no router so my question is how can I get my linux
> gateway to resolve them?
>
> derek

I also do have a Dlink router since I got broadband...

--

                                                             /\
                                                      Dark<>Lord