On Monday 16 June 2003 10:12 am, Derek Jennings wrote:

> We were talking about Dhcp.  Samba will resolve NETBIOS names for you which
> is entirely a different thing.
> By putting the names/adrresses in /etc/hosts you are using static
> addressing.
>
> derek

So was I.  I guess I don't understand the mechanics too well but what I did
was set DHCP to auto assign IP addressess to my 3 comps (via the Mandrake
Wizard). It gave them:

192.168.0.100
192.168.0.101
192.168.0.102

So...then I took these numbers assigned by DHCP and put them into /etc/hosts
so that we could ping each other by alias instead of having to type in the
full quad number.

Did I do a "no-no"? :-)

It all seems to work really well. We all have broadband connections, we can
all ping each other by hostname, and games that never would find each other
before now do...

--

                                                             /\
                                                   Dark<>Lord