On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 09:37, Derek Jennings wrote:
<snip>

> Well assuming you are using Dhcp then how are you managing to resolve the
> hostnames?

I believe it can't. I think that BIND, or some flavor similar, does
that.
> When you ask to ping a host your system will first go to /etc/hosts to see if
> there is an entry there (that was a mistake in my original post. I said fstab
> by mistake) if there is no entry in hosts, it will go and ask the DNS server.

If you look at the choices you have, it's 'hosts', 'dns' and 'bind'. DNS
is always outside, it only deals with FQDN's. BIND, if I understand
correctly, is the counterpart to WINS in M$land.

> If you are using your ISPs DNS server, there is no way it is going to know
> about clients on your local net. If you use your own DNS server (like I use
> djbdns) then there has to be some method for the dhcp server to tell the DNS
> server when an address has been assigned.

I don't think they talk to each other. DHCP is aggressive, though it
will allow a static IP to exist without being told to. It works with a
table of inclusions and exclusions as well as the range to give out.
Doesn't BIND also want the same ranges? Either way, I think BIND and
WINS are passive compared to DHCP where assignments go. That has to be
the case because they should be run concurrently and they couldn't it
they bumped heads.

> If you have a router assigning IP addresses then the router might be able to
> tell you, but I have no router so my question is how can I get my linux
> gateway to resolve them?

The router/gateway/firewall device does because it is expected to.
Technically, it becomes several devices and servers in one. Setting up
DHCP on a server using software is only part of the total services
needed. This is why I stayed away from it on my server. I didn't want my
measly little P233 be a Samba file server, email server, DHCP server,
BINDS server, and so on and so on. Damn thing would poop out on me in no
time! Local names resolution And...more important to me, getting DHCP
and BIND set-up correctly required some careful thinking. I'm always
forgetting as to whether static devices should be numbered outside the
DHCP range or inside with an exclusion. ARGH! I still have to mess
around with hosts/lmhosts files for statically addressed devices, so it
doesn't make sense for me.

Someday, but for my little LAN, static works fine right now. I would
statically assign any small network now that I am using mixed
platforms..