On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:17:52AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2003 at 13:25, g wrote:
>

> > JoeHill wrote:
> >
> > > IIRC, from my Windows days, ISOs show up as archives (the little
> > > stack of books icon), I think that is the confusion. It's not really
> > > a RAR archive, it's just that windows is stupid and tells you what
> > > it *thinks* it is...
> >
> > ms windows is 'stupid'. yet, in w98se, a '.iso' file shows as a wavy
> > flag on a single page and of type 'iso file'.
> >
> > i am still at wonder as to where '.rar' is coming from.
> >

> i told it to download NOT as an .rar file and it still downloaded that
> way anyway.  it's a little stack of books, not a wavy flag on a single
> page.

I'm a little late coming to this thread, but why the emphasis on the
icon? As far as I know, the icon is a rather arbitrary symbol to tell
the user what type of file it is; you can set it to be any icon you
like. The question is whether the extension is .iso or .rar; who cares
about the icon?

In Windoze open a folder, View > Folder Options > View tab, uncheck
"Hide file extensions for known file types". This is one of the first
things I do when I work on Windoze.

If the iso did save as .rar, I have had luck with just renaming and
changing the extension. What browser/ftp program did you use to download
the iso's?

Good luck,
Todd