Inhabitant of Zion wrote:

try looking in /var/log/messages, very long script but you might find what your looking for there, or else in one of the log files in
/var/log.

It says:

Jun 17 16:53:34 pc-00066 kernel: ACPI: Subsystem revision 20030122
Jun 17 16:53:34 pc-00066 kernel: ACPI: Disabled via command line
(acpi=off)

Can I enable it again from the command line or is it not as simple as
that?

Is there anything else I need to look at?

I read in one thing something about popt? Anybody know what that is and
whether its relevant?

John

Take a look in /etc/lilo.conf and see whether you have the bit about acpi=off in the append line
like this,

append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

if so try removing it and rebooting . The only question is if it's there why is it there , and does it matter if removed, I don't think it does, I shouldn't think it is likely to prevent booting. If it does you will have to use a text editor to put it back again , but I don't think it will stop you getting to desktop.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]