quoting Anne Wilson; Friday 20 June 2003 03:47 am:
> On Friday 20 Jun 2003 1:32 am, Ralph Bagwell wrote:
> > Anne , thanks heaps.
>
> No problem
>
> > Did what you said and have booted up three times now with no
> > glitches -.
>
> Glad to hear it.
>
> > I got another question for ya - don't tell anyone I asked/.
> >
> > I have managed to upgrade to KDE 312 on my "right" box - but I
> > can't do the same on the "left" box - maybe I have forgotten what I
> > did. What is the correct way to do that? (and should I bother) ?
>
> Can't help on that one - never tried it.  Generally I work on 'if it
> an't broke, don't fix it' and I've not come across anything that
> needed the upgrade.  Sorry
>
> > (still working on trying to print with the Epson thru the LAN from
> > the "right" box - [while in Windows] ). Having now installed 9.1 on
> > that box (dual booting with XP) printing works just fine.)
>
> So are you saying that the Epson is on your linux box and prints fine,
> but your windows box can't print to it?
>
> Anne

KDE 3.1.2 is just an "Update" not really an upgrade. By that I mean it's
(perhaps) less 'glitchy' than the shipped KDE and slightly cleaner in
function. For my machine anyway. Then again I have an odd mix of
cooker/release/third party installs.

Texstar's seems to work better than the "official" KDE package, and infinitely
better than trying to run the cooker version. YMMV Instructions follow.

To avoid "bad signature messages;"

GPG Key Instructions

Rpmdrake requires the maker of the rpm to sign their rpms. Here is how to
download and install my gpg key.

 Download

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/mandrake/gpgkey/pubring.gpg

Tex's pubring.gpg key for Linux Mandrake 9.1

Drop to the console or open an xterm and su to root.

Type: gpg --import pubring.gpg

To update to 3.1.2 since you're already in "terminal mode" and if you don't
already have it as a software source repository:

urpmi.addmedia texstar
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/mandrake/9.1/rpms
with hdlist.cz

all on one line.

You can install any of Texstar's RPMs from command line or from rpmdrake or
from the embedded rpmdrake in the Mandrake Control Centre after that.

For a newbie it's probably best to use the Mandrake Control Centre, Software
Manager.

On a side note; you can configure source repositories in a number of ways, but
the easiest is the easy urpmi page at PLF. You can also install a 'version'
of the same function from the install disks;

urpmi urpmi.setup

then run it with

urpmi.setup

The phrasing used on buttons is a bit whack though, you'll probably click a
button expecting it to do one thing but it'll do something else. Better just
to go to the page and use that.

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

Hope this helps.

Charlie