At 07:49 AM 6/23/2003 -0500, you wrote:
<SNIPs some hummingbirds ... you finish the thought...>

My guess is that Win95B and NT 4.0 have never heard about HDD S.M.A.R.T
Capability, and didn't try to write to the Western Digital using it.
 Whereas Mandrake 9.1 is new and sophisticated enough to know about HDD
S.M.A.R.T. Capability and was using it to write to a drive that didn't
support it.  Hence all the problems with Linux files on the Western
Digital.

Anyone know different?

The Other

I know nothing about MIDI So i won't address that. But your presumption is correct about the HDD.

FemmeFatale, aka The Skirt

Good Decisions Your boss Made:
"We'll do as you suggest and go with Linux. I've always liked that
character from Peanuts."

- Source: Dilbert