On Tuesday 24 Jun 2003 2:58 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:

>    As to the subject, SMART, I believe y'all would be better off
> disabling this useless marketing gimick. When it does manage to
> work, it's already too late most all the time, and it will
> constantly impose an overhead on IDE transfers while it's enabled.
> Periodic checks with Linux tools when you suspect HDD problems are
> much better. You can use all of 'em with SMART disabled in bios.
> One is hddtemp, hddtemp-0.3-0.beta4.2mdk  (that's cooker, but I
> believe it's available for older Mandrake versions). Reads HDD temp
> from SMART capable drives, without SMART bios B$

regarding smart I have it disabled in bios. But normal installation of mdk 9.1
enables smart as shown by lshw program as given below.

*-ide:0
                bus info: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                logical name: ide0
                clock: 33MHz
              *-disk:0
                   product: ST320413A
                   bus info: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:master
                   logical name: /dev/hda
                   version: 3.39
                   serial: 6ED1JBLC
                   size: 18GB
                   capacity: 18GB
                   capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm
                   configuration: mode=udma5 smart=on
              *-disk:1
                   product: SAMSUNG SP4002H
                   bus info: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:slave
                   logical name: /dev/hdb
                   version: QU100-60
                   serial: 0411J1FT811301
                   size: 37GB
                   capacity: 37GB
                   capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm
                   configuration: mode=udma5 smart=on
Or am I mistaken that smart=on is something else?
--
L.V.Gandhi
203, Soundaryalahari Apartments, Lawsons Bay colony, Visakhapatnam, 530017