I had the same alarm bells going off.  The ONTRACK disk overlay and Linux have
always been incompatible (or so I thought).  If your bios has SMART
capability, I assume that your mobo is new, so I can't figure out why you
would need ONTRACK, except that ONTRACK is installed on your old drive.  You
must use ONTRACK to remove ONTRACK, if I remember correctly, because a simple
dos format won't do the trick.  My bet is that the ONTRACK manager is
fubaring your installs with modern systems, and your best bet is to use the
ONTRACK boot disk to rid your drive of it.  Mind you, all this stuff is from
memory, because it has been years since I used a disk manager.

e.