On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 10:20, Wade Waldron wrote:
> I have tried to run both KDE and Gnome and get hung up on either.
> They start to load and then just stop and the system hangs.  I have
> pressed Alt Ctrl F1 to get to a prompt.  From here I pressed the
> windows key on my keyboard.  This brings up a list of errors which are
> scrolling by so fast I can not read them.  I have been able to make
> out part of the error.  It says "localhost xinetd [A seemingly random
> number] sgi fam PID [A process number I assume] from <no address>
> ....I can not tell what is here.... local host is not connected"  It
> also flashes "warning: can't get client address" although I can not
> tell where this fits in.  Does anyone know what this error means and
> how I can stop it?  I should note that the number for xinetd and PID
> both change each time the message flashes.  It seems like the system
> gets hung up because it is trying to perform an operation but keeps
> failing so it tries again.
>
> Incidentally, someone suggested that I look in var/log/messages.  I
> tried, but I can not access the file because I do not have
> permission.  I tried to login as root, but that does not seem to
> work.  The login prompt I am recieving is "localhost login: " when I
> enter root and the password it tells me incorrect login.  I know the
> password is correct so am I also doing something wrong here?
>
> Please, any help would be very much appreciated.
>
> Wade

Something is definitely wrong if you can't login as root - if anything,
you can boot from the first CD, choose F1 at the initial prompt, then
choose to run the "linux resuce" - once logged on, you can run "passwd"
to change the root password and verify that you can login properly.

If you can get that done, then, after booting normally, login to the
system as root again, and see if you can access the /var/log/messages

--
Tue Jun 24 10:55:00 EST 2003
 10:55:00 up 2 days, 20:05,  3 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.38, 0.37

The reason they're called wisdom teeth is that the experience makes you wise.