quoting Michael; Friday 27 June 2003 02:06 pm:
<whack>

> i threatened win98 with complete removal and 100% switch to linux when it
> started giving me problems the other day.  guess what it did....
>
> completely 100% encouraged me beyond a shadow of a doubt to make the
> switch. as of right now, win media player and any audio file i have saved
> on the computer will NOT play in windows, but gee, switch over to linux and
> it's FINE!  sound card is starting to give me problems in windows, but it's
> working OK in linux (and my mobo getting up to 121 degrees the other day
> sure didn't help matters either, had tons of problems that day).
>
> and to try to correct the problems with windows, i insert the install CD
> and try to do a full install with format...it stops before it even gets to
> the install to tell me i don't have enough virtural memory to continue.
> ok, lemme get this straight, an 800mhz Asus mobo, AMD 950 processor, 768mb
> of ram, no programs running while i try to do the install, and i don't have
> enough memory?!  guess win98 didn't take the linux threat lightly!

Windows 9X (95, 98, 98SE, and ME) series won't install at all, or run for that
matter, when there's more than 512 MB memory TOTAL (too many people forgot
that Windows counts memory on video cards in that total) available without
some severe sweet talking. Sometimes Win2K even has trouble.

It's been a long time (3+ years) since I've had a Windows install of my own or
had to help anyone with one, but the "workaround" for running with that much
memory should still be in the "Windows Knowledge Base" or whatever oxymoronic
name they called it.

Yeah here it is. Word wrap will probably kill the link, it's all one line
though:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q253/9/12.asp&NoWebContent=1

Take out enough memory to get below the limit and the trouble should go away.
Or just reclaim the disk space for Mandrake as I did. <g>

Regards;
Charlie
--
Edmonton,AB,Canada Registered user 244963 at http://counter.li.org