login as user
execute 'X &' (no quotes)
change back to the terminal you started X on ctrl-alt-F#
execute 'export DISPLAY=:0' (again no quotes)
execute 'strace -o ~/gnome-terminal.out gnome-terminal' (yep you guessed
it no quotes here either)
wait for any harddriver churnings to stop and count to 30
now hold ctrl and push c twice rapidly, if this does not bring you back to
either a command prompt or the grey crosshatch (X without a wm) X screen
hold _alt_ and push _print screen/sysrq_ (could be labeled as either or
both) then  s u b at this point the machine will reboot. when it comes
back up email the ~/gnome-terminal.out directly to me