ok:

1) Free drive space
     about 300Mb free on /
     several gig free on /home

2) Memory (free and total)
     at this moment:
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:         63056      61492       1564      17856       1308
14268
-/+ buffers/cache:      45916      17140
Swap:       104384       6212      98172

is there a way to free up more ram?  i am planning to purchase more, but
it seems that 1.5 meg free is a bit bad.  i am running X though.

3) Hardware -- processor, video card, motherboard/chipset, etc
     Pentium II 350MHz
     64 meg ram
     linux lives on a 6.4 gig WD hd, windows lives on a 4.3 gig WD hd
     Diamond stealth 3d video card (S3 virge gx2 video chipset)
     dont remember the motherboard, but i can look it up if necessary

4) SCSI or IDE
     ide

5) Anything else even remotely relevant!
     this didnt happen with these particular programs in 6.0.  i did a
clean upgrade to 6.1.  i dont have another machine handy (except my Palm
IIIx!) to telnet in with.
     regular xterm locks sometimes too. :(  its getting to the point
where i cant run a terminal in X.  i dont need to tell you why that
sucks.

another thing i might try is to use the old gnome-terminal from 6.0 and
see if that works.  anyone know how to get a single file out of an rpm?

:P