ok, i've got some problems here.  my laptop had been giving me problems for a
while.  i had dropped it after getting my PC (which is 3x faster), and broke
the latch on the CD drive.  well, i fixed that.  the display is also funky
now, but with an external moniter, it's fine.  well......

i couldn't get windows to go through an install.  was having problems with it.
it kept locking up.  well, the hard drive had been formatted during the
windows 98se install, so i couldn't get into windows.  so i attempted to see
if i was having hardware or software problems.  my solution...install linux
md9.1.  well, i cleared out the partitions on the hard drive (was split in 2
when windows was installed).  i then went and let linux take the entire 4gb
hard drive.  the install went over fine.  i booted into KDE and everything
was good.  well, then i decided i needed to try windows again, as the PC is
the primary computer and i was trying to get the laptop up and running again
so myself and the wife could use it with windows (more for her than me
really).  so i went and started a re-install of linux, got to the
partitioning section, formatted the hard drive completely, restarted the
laptop, and went and started with a windows install.  the windows install
went over smoothly, or so i thought.  the laptop started up after the
install, and it went to the linux boot options.  "Houston, we have a
problem."  there's no option for windows, and linux isn't on the laptop
anymore.  ok, thought i could handle this.......i went and restarted with the
windows CD, went into MSDOS, deleted the hard drive, re-installed the hard
drive, restarted the laptop with the windows Cd in again.  it then told me
that the hard drive was not formatted and i needed to format to continue with
an install.  i thought i had fixed it.  re-installed windows.  rebooted the
system....the linux dual boot option came up again!  the hard drive was 100%
unconditionally formatted according to windows.

so did i really make a big mistake?  the drive was set as a FAT32 drive.  i
don't know how to go in and remove the dual boot option so i can just put
plain old windows on the laptop again.

to anyone that can help, please keep in mind that you are giving advice to
someone that knows NOTHING about programming.  i'm COMPLETELY new to this
stuff.  i've said it in other e-mails to the list recently, but i'll say it
again....basic linux starts in a week or so and until that starts, i'm
completely clueless about programming.

have i completely ruined my laptop for windows now?  if i have, it's bitter
sweet, because it'll give me a computer to experiment on with linux
programming before i go and "mess up" the PC, but i'd like to have windows
back on it again and have 2 computers in the house.  thanks to all!

Mike