Stephen,
        I have the same problem with the Nvidia drivers.  The only thing that works ok
is xawtv capturing direct off the video capture card with the device called out as

        xawtv -c /dev/v4l/video0

Everthing else, EVERY other player gives me blue garbage or a smear on the screen.
Well, that's not quite true.  They are ok in full screen mode.  The only fix I could
find was to use the nv drivers.

I would really like to figure this one out as well, cause I can't play Tux now.

Linus