On Friday 18 July 2003 09:08 am, aron smith wrote:
> what would be the best system that one could put together for under
> $1,000.00 USD
> Rules of the game
> 1 Commercially available Hardware (no surplus SGI
> 2 It has to run Mandraike :>

How about this? I decided to let you recycle your monitor, keyboard, NIC, and
speakers, and set this little multimedia rockstar up for you:

$163.00 AMD Athlon XP2800 333 MHz FSB
$146.00 2 sticks PC3200 DDR 512 Mb
$84.00  Asus A7N8X Mobo (has onboard LAN and Sound not supported by
Mandrake yet) otherwise its a totally rockin' board.
$176.00 Seagate Cheetah 73.4Gb SCSI 10000RPM
$31.00  Samsung 12xDVD/40xCD
$45.00  Mitsumi 54x-32x-54x CDRW
$158.00 Geforce 4 4400Ti 8xAGP
$82.00  Creative SB Audigy2- 6.1

$885.00 Total

You will need a SCSI card for this system that is not in this quote.

I build up a system with a XP2100, 512 Mb, GeForce 440Mx, and SBLive Card on
the A7N8X, and it rocks, and cost me about $550. This is a higher end dream
system that I would like to own. But I doubt that my wife would let me buy
it.

Rob

--

Linux: For the people, by the people.