On Saturday 19 July 2003 01:08 pm, John Drouhard wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:40:44 -0400
>
> Greg Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 July 2003 02:55 am, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> > > $163.00 AMD Athlon XP2800 333 MHz FSB
> >
> > Or you could get yourself a TbredB 1700+ for $45 and clock it to 2400+ at
> > 333fsb.  That processor comes multiplier unlocked and is the easiest
> > overclock that ever existed.
>
> I'm also looking for a new processor and motherboard. What if I got a
> 2400+, how much could I overclock that? I want to have good performance
> for games and office apps.
The 1700+ is a particularly good overclocker, so I don't think you'd get the
same kind of percentage increase with a 2400+, but check out the forums at
overclockers.com for more info on that.

> > > $84.00  Asus A7N8X Mobo (has onboard LAN and Sound not supported by
> > >          Mandrake yet) otherwise its a totally rockin' board.
> >
> > Or if you want total compatibility without messing around, a KT400 board
> > is fully supported and the lan and sound will both work.
>
> I was thinking along the lines of a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 or Soyo
> Dragon Lite. What are the main differences between these two?
I run the Soyo Dragon Ultra Black edition.  It works flawlessly in Linux, and
will take the Barton core processors.  The only thing that does not work is
the Highpoint RAID controller which is a windows only thing.  It works fine
as an additional IDE controller though.  I think the difference betwen the
Ultra and the light is an onboard nic and the extra Highpoint controller.

The nforce2 boards are nice, but if you are a purist and don't like closed
source drivers, you won;t get full function
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx