On Saturday 19 July 2003 06:40 am, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 19 July 2003 02:55 am, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> > $163.00 AMD Athlon XP2800 333 MHz FSB
>
> Or you could get yourself a TbredB 1700+ for $45 and clock it to 2400+ at
> 333fsb.  That processor comes multiplier unlocked and is the easiest
> overclock that ever existed.
>
> > $146.00 2 sticks PC3200 DDR 512 Mb
>
> If you go KT400, PC 3200 RAM is a waste because the board actually runs
> faster with the cpu and ram in sync at 333fsb, so PC2700 RAM will do.
> Also, remember that the Mandrake kernel will have problems with memeory
> above 864, so you'll have to use the enterprise kernel, although 512MB RAM
> is probably more than enough unless you do a lot of video editing.
>
> > $84.00  Asus A7N8X Mobo (has onboard LAN and Sound not supported by
> >          Mandrake yet) otherwise its a totally rockin' board.
>
> Or if you want total compatibility without messing around, a KT400 board is
> fully supported and the lan and sound will both work.  The dual channel DDR
> on the nforce2 boards gives you a bit of a performance boost, about the
> same as going from SDR to DDR RAM, but if compatibility is your game, it's
> not worth it because you have to install the nVidia binary drivers to get
> full funtionality.  Not a problem unless you can't get on the net to
> download them because the LAN doesn't work or if you are a pureist that
> will not use closed source drivers.

Buying a A7V8X using the KT400 chipset saves $20 over the A7N8X, but for the
advantages of the A7N8X I would say its wasted money. The onboard dual NICs
and soundcard make it worth the money, as someone always seems to build an
open source driver that works. Look at WinModems.

My apologies, my price was for PC2700 ram, my text was not updated.

Overclocking always causes the chip to suffer, espeically in a 1700 to 2400
jump. I use it only as a last resort, I would not build a new computer
overclocked.

--

Linux: For the people, by the people.