Hi,
        Thanks Anne and John. First off....to answer John...there is no floppy drive
at all in my laptop. I took it out of the drive bay and added the cdrw. Also,
hard drive is hda, cdrom is hdb and cdrw is hdc. Next, Anne, it seems that
there is another difference between your fstab lines and mine. Yours read
.... iocharset=iso8859-15
while mine read
.... iocharset=iso8859-1
I'm usually not worried about trying the different options but I'd like to see
if, collectively, any of these differences make sense.
Also, for John, my lilo.conf does have the scsi emulation turned on thus....
append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"
        Any ideas?

Thanks for everything so far.

Regards,
Bill W.