On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:05:46 -0500
Brooks Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Hi all.  I've got Mandrake 9.1 and I'm currently using Gnome2.2 for my
>
> desktop.  However, I've noticed that there are a lot more things that
> seem to be written for KDE (themes, applications, etc.). What makes
> KDE so much more popular than Gnome?

KDE seems to be more inclined to develop cool stuff for the
newbie/end-user, like SuperKaramba, transparency, etc.

Gnome seems to be in kinda a rut lately, tho there are a lot of cool
things for Gnome as well.

I personally *hate* KDE, but that's just me. Bloat (like Gnome) with
incompatible themes (qt) and a more and more Windows-like interface.

Plus, for a lot of people, KDE is simply what comes up first!

Personally, if you like Gnome's interface, I would recommend XFCE4,
which has 9.1 rpms on it's site courtesy of Todd Slater (yay Todd!)

If yer into giving Gnome a chance, there are some sites to customise
your desktop and such:

http://www.gnomedesktop.org/index.php

this site will link you to many Gnome resources!

--
Joehill
Registered Linux user #282046