On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:37:34 -0700
Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:14:42AM -0700, Grant wrote:
> > > I was following the Gnome vs. KDE thread and decided to try XFce4.
> > >  I've
> > > downloaded and installed all the required rpm's in the correct
> > order plus a
> > > few others.  I also followed the instructions on the download
> > page to add an
> > > XFce4 entry to KDM, and I put the startup script outlined under
> > "My startup
> > > script" in my /usr/bin directory.  But when I select XFce4 from
> > KDM I end up
> > > in IceWM.  Does anyone have any advice for me?  Thanks!
> >
> > Grant,
> >
> > You can ignore the "My startup script" and use XFcd4's script, which
> > is at /usr/local/bin/startxfce4. So, you'd have to edit
> > /etc/X11/wmsession.d/19xfce4 (or whatever number you gave it) to
> > point to that script in both the exec lines.
> >
> > Note that NAME in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/19xfce4 is case-sensitive in
> > that you need to use the same thing in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.
> > So, if it's XFce4 in the first it needs to be that in the second.
> >
> > Clear as mud? As an alternative, if you want to use the "my startup
> > script", did you make it executable? (chmod +x scriptname)
> >
> > Let us know how you get along.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Todd
>
> Todd, thanks so much.  The key info for me was making the file
> executable(so that's why those filenames are green).  I've installed
> all the packages and am currently using your startup script.  What
> should my script look like if I want to turn everything on and take it
> for a ride?  I don't seem to have the default startup script under
> /usr/local/bin .  Thanks!
>
> - Grant

Glad it's working. You don't have startxfce4 in /usr/local/bin?

Really all you need is:

xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xftaskbar4 &
xfdesktop &
exec xfce4-panel

I'm back to using the taskbar now instead of the iconbox; you can run
them both at the same time I suppose.

Most everything else is a panel plugin or available through setup.
Right-click the panel to add a new item or set the properties of the
various packages.

Cheers,
Todd

--
Name that tune #7: A lot of people don't have much food on their table,
but they got a lot of forks and knives; well they gotta cut something.