> First, no sound. I have SiS7012 working OK using module i810 - sound out
> in (e.g.) xmms and play but in audacity get 'error opening audio device

This might be arts related. Occasionally an arts program will want
to use the sound card and not be able to - usually when that happens I
just use xmms. I'm not quite sure how to address this issue in audacity;
I've only used it a little bit.

> Second problem, when I load a large MP3 file (over 100Mb) takes over 4
> mins to load and program cuts out before fully loaded - no warnings just

Do you have plenty of disk space? If not, try defining a directory that
Audacity can use (/tmp for example). Audacity files can be huge, and
it has to store the uncompressed version of that mp3 and any changes -
audacity seems to save in a large number of 1 megabyte chunks.

The biggest file I've edited (mp3) in audacity was about 43 megs.