John Richard Smith wrote:

H.J.Bathoorn wrote:

Well frankly, I do download i.e. save the packages for other machines on my network so I never have to dl the same package twice.
This means a first try at downloadinging and installing, and if it asked for other (dependent) packages... I take note and add them next time.
It's almost like the install orgies in "the old days" with rpm.
Once you get the hang of it, there's no stopping any more:o)
Note: I only do this on my cable (=broadband) connection.

If you dont have the broadband, go to rpmfind.net, look up the specific package and read the depencies beforehand. They're all there in the .html file, just scroll down a bit.
Actually urpmi was created to put an end to all this. It does just that as long as the hdlist.cz files are good enough. There's the weak spot!

This is what I percieve. It is a sort of progress, but of a limited kind.
I mean, urpmi is supposed to take away the , what to uninstall what not to uninstall, and the method, or sequence of install of all the various packages that typically make a complicated linux software install.But in doing so it means that the user has to have damned good high speed internet connection
together with a solid knowledge of the download directories , a solid knowledge of the command lines needed to produce the required results.
I know there is that easy thing, but it daint always work, I don't know why, but it doesn't. I suspect that once you have something non standard installed it confuses the headlist , remote and local, I don't know.

Let me take an example , having upgraded "main" , isn't that supposed to be the headlist for Mandrakes own download packages, maybe I got it wrong, but that is how I understood it, and created your own local headlist . I want to download and install " rosegarden " which I think is included in "main"

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# urpmi.addmedia rosegarden

"media" is the location from which you are getting the packages. When you urmpi.addmedia you are adding a location from which to download files. Do you see why what you typed wouldn't work? Did you intend to create *another* place from which to download files or did you want to download files from a place you had *previously* specified?

-"urmpi.addmedia <location_of_files_you_want_to_install>" is used to add
a new location from which to download files.

-"urpmi.update -a" will refresh it's memory on where it needs to go to get any given package

-"urpmi -v <package_you_want_to_install>" will install a package. You
don't need to tell urpmi where to get it. It knows where to go based on the earlier steps. urpmi will then search it's database to see where that particular package lives, get it and install it.

usage: urpmi.addmedia [options] <name> <url> [with <relative_path>]
where <url> is one of
file://<path>
removable://<path>

and [options] are from
 --help         - print this help message.
 --wget         - use wget to retrieve distant files.
 --curl         - use curl to retrieve distant files.
<snip>
 -h             - try to find and use synthesis or hdlist
                  file.
 -f             - force generation of hdlist files.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

so that's not right.
so I try the full thing,

urpmi.addmedia rosegarden ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/contrib/RPMS with hdlist.cz
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# urpmi.addmedia rosegarden ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/contrib/RPMS with hdlist.cz
added medium rosegarden
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.texstar.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.jpackage.free.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]
retrieving description file of "rosegarden"...
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "rosegarden"...
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/contrib/RPMS/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 19 or signal 0

retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
no hdlist file found for medium "rosegarden"
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.rosegarden.cz]
problem reading synthesis file of medium "rosegarden"
unable to update medium "rosegarden"
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

So I'm obviously doing something wrong again.

but I don't know how I'm supposed to know how to put it right.
It's lack of basic knowledge combined with a good explanation of what I'm supposed to be doing right, that is the problem.

Although I am perfectly comfortable with gui apps, I do like to be able to use the command line, and in any case one should learn and understand first principles even if you do use gui apps to download.

So anyway all this is all very well, but I in keeping with many others I do not have a high speed internet connection and must make do and mend with a lousy isp and many cutoffs during the download. So far I have never once had urpmi successfully restart an isp induced cutoff. Kppp does it stuff just fine, but then urpmi just sits there for a manual restart, and a restart that begins from the beginning all over again. Oh dear , what a pollarva.

So for me, I want some means by which I can quickly and easily determin the packages to be downloaded, via a resume download programme like d4x, and a local directory based urpmi to do the job for me. So that in effect in my local directory, say directory tmp, I have downloaded when d4x is finished every conceivable package required, I then proceed to do the same thing with this local directory that urpmi is doing with a remote directory. I guess that a local headist of this local temp directory and it's contents has to be built. I don't know.

So you see from my point of view , what seems the best thing since sliced bread to some appears anything but to me and mine.

John

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903)
                "Maxims for Revolutionists"