On Monday 28 Jul 2003 8:25 pm, charo wrote:
> this is a long history that I will try to make shorter, but please don't
> piss me off. Linux is though enough for a brand new linux user like me.
>
> Following someone suggestions from de list I added a cron.daily file
> urpmi.cron, with the content that follows:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> urpmi.update -a
> urpmi --auto-select --auto --no-verify-rpms
>
> I thought I was really smart having this feature in my box when someone
> in the list wasn't sure that updating from "cooker" was a good idea.
> Literally to me cooker was a cooking pot, so I didn't even realize what
> I was going into. OK, after that I was still having the PGP signature
> problems and I used another tip from this list  (Subject: Bad
> signatures) and I follow that reference:
> http://www.pclinuxonline.com/gpgkey.html
>
> The problem is that I'm still having troubles with bad signatures. My
> questions, I guess, are:
>       1) Is it safe to do that urpmi.cron in a box for real work, not for
> testing? Am I really using cooker in that file?
>       2) Could anybody give me 2 lines info about cooker and how to stay away
> from it when updating packages?
>       3) Are you sure this list is for brand new linux newbiers? I read
> almost all messages and I feel I'm getting so much partial info that I
> can see the big picture.
>
> Any advice will be apreciated.
> Rosario

The best way to avoid cooker is to not have cooker defined as a urpmi source.
Your software source manager in Mandrake Control Centre will show you a list
of defined sources.

May I suggest one change to your script.
You currently have 'urpmi --auto-select --auto --no-verify-rpms' which is
going to automatically install the latest version of any package available on
any of the sources.
Some of the online sources such as Texstar contain the very latest bleeding
edge versions of packages. Occasionally these are 'broken'. So you could wake
up one day to discover something important no longer works.
I prefer to use
urpmi --auto-select --auto --no-verify-rpms --update
This will only automatically update packages from sources tagged as 'update
media' when you added them. So any official Mandrake update will take place
automatically, while new Texstar and PLF packages can wait until I am ready
for them.

HTH

derek

--