Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 28 Jul 2003 3:32 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:

1) It is safe to do the urpmi.cron if you do not have a "cooker"
source in your list of update sources. Texstars rpms are not cooker
per se but set up to install on the latest mandrake version. He has
them tidied up to stop conflicts etc. (that is how I understand
what he does)

2) "cooker" is the developement side  of Mandrake. The rpm's in
cooker are for testing to make sure that dependencies and file
calls etc, are satisfied. Cooker is the bleeding edge of
developement and you should not use it if you don't do testing or
programming. That is the safe thing to do.

You will not have the cooker source in your list unless you have put it there yourself - and you won't have done that by accident, so you should be fine.

3) Yes this list is for "newbies". You just have to hang in there
and keep coming back for clarifications. It is very hard to tell
the degree of expertise that new folks have when they first come to
the list. Answers are put forth assuming  that the questioner has a
level of expertise that may not be true and you just have to keep
asking questions. Read the "Man" files and google and ask here. If
you are new to linux and or unix it will seem very cryptic for a
while, but slowly the light will dawn and you to will be answering
newbie questions. HTH

When I started reading it was clear to me that some were light years ahead of what I know - some still are - but Dennis is right - keep reading and it will gradually start to make sense. Nobody minds how often you come back for clarification, just make your questions clear so that we're not answering the wrong thing. I would suggest, too, that you keep a scrap book, say copy and paste into your favourite text editor/word processor, of the things that look as though they could be useful to you 'when you get a round tuit'.

Anne

Very good point. I'll take it into account. Thanks a lot, R