On 31 Jul 2003 11:26:58 +1000
Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 03:38, Aaron Burke wrote:
> > After I initially installed Mandrake 8.2 (it's the only version I have
> > access to), I must have chose somewhere along the line to automatically
> > start with the KDE Interface with my personal login. However, I thought I
> > found the place to disable that and get the GUI to choose the Interface (I
> > wanted to try out more than KDE), but when I did that and rebooted, I get
> > a command-line login and nothing more.
> > My question is this: what command do I use to bring up the GUI?
>
> startx

If you'd like a easy choice of GUI from the command line without using a graphical
display manager you might want to use Xtart.
I don't remember if it installs by default (I _THINK_ it does).  If it's not then log
in as root and

urpmi Xtart

Personally, I don't use kdm, mdkdm, gdm, xdm etc... It just seems to add an extra step
that takes more time IMHO.
The last time I used one I would login from the command line, startx, then log in
again on the display manager, choose a GUI and hit ok.
Maybe it's not like that anymore?  I know if i do startx now it just goes straight to
KDE but I figure that's because I don't use a graphical display manager.  But... (and
it's getting quite cliche to say this...) that's the great thing about GNU/Linux...
choice.  :-)
HTH

Jerry
--