On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 00:02:53 -0400
Brant Fitzsimmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >I upgraded to 3.1.3 a couple of days ago as well.  Unfortunately I did have
> >problems.  After about 2 hours (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less)
> >it locks up the entire machine.  The screen goes black, the mouse (optical) goes
> >dead and the keyboard won't respond.  I don't use KDE often (I prefer IceWM) but
> >sometimes I'm in the mood for a full featured desktop.  Not sure what's causing the
> >problem... KDE has never given me fits in the past.  My first thought was hardware
> >so I tried out a different video card, switched out RAM, stuff like that.  Still
> >have the problem but I figure I'll be doing a fresh install when 9.2 comes out so I
> >think I can survive for a month or 2.  I figure it's just a software problem...
> >perhaps a conflict somewhere?  Who knows.  However, when 9.2 comes out, I'll sure
> >give it another shot.
> >
> >Jerry.
> >

> That sucks.  That sounds like it *could*, or not, be more than a KDE
> problem.  Did you upgrade anything else?

Oh... I'm not too worried about it really LOL.  A month or two isn't too long for me
to wait to use KDE which I don't use often anyway.  I haven't done anything major...
Really the only other things I've upgraded have been mozilla (just did urpme mozilla
and used mozilla's installer to put it in usr/local/) gaim (I always build gaim from
source... also in /usr/local) sun java, xchat (from source), and whatever
MandrakeUpdate's thrown at me.  I still haven't quite gotten around to the latest
kernel (since last time I checked Win4Lin didn't have a matching kernel yet) or
anything major like gcc.  Could it possibly be that I used the textar rpms with
rpmdrake instead of d/l-ing them all in a dir and doing rpm -Uvh *?  That's been how
I've upgraded KDE in the past.  Just seems to me like rpmdrake would do the same
thing.  I didn't have any failed packages and I cross referenced to make sure that any
old packages I had on there were matched with upgrade packages and selected in
rpmdrake.  On a side note, all of the KDE apps seem to run just fine under IceWM
(albeit with a much slower startup) or at least the same as they would behave under
KDE (the occasional konqueror crash, etc...).

Jerry

--
_||_  Registered linux user #300600
 (o_  Registered linux machine # 185855