Sorry, I don't know anything about ADSL as yet, but your last remark needed a response! It is true that Windoze is easier to set up than Linux. It is designed for people who are not interested in the computer, but only the things the computer can do. Linux on the other hand is designed by computer users, for computer users who want to know a little about what goes on on the inside. It is quite difficult to master, and is not for the faint of heart. The truth of the matter is that if you want easy, use Windoze, but if you want power, and are willing to work for it, use Linux. The rewards will be greater understanding of your computer, greater stability on the OS, and more power in your hands. For myself ( also a new Linux user ) the learning curve is well worth the effort.

Ernie

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 10:23 AM
Subject: [newbie] ADSL and DHCP and Linux, oh my...

I have been trying to get Linux to see the internet.  I have ADSL that was working fine for Windows, and now, when I try to get Linux to see the internet, I get this error:

Determining IP information for eth0...Operation failed.

The 'pump' command is the one failing.  I have tried all the suggestions that I can in the mini-howto for DHCP.  It still doesn't work.  My ISP isn't much help, they tell me that they don't support Linux yet, but here is what has worked for others:
IP Address: Obtain from server automatically
WINS configuration: DHCP
IP Gateway or default router: Leave blank or (0.0.0.0)
Host: (YOUR userID)
IP Network Class: C
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Domain: swbell.net
DNS Server:
If you cannot select "Server Assigned Name Server",
then select the following:
Primary DNS: 151.164.1.8
Secondary DNS: 151.164.1.7

I tried that too, I wasn't using my userID as my hostname.  However, that also didn't work.

I am just hoping that others here that have set up their Linux with ADSL will know what needs to be done.  Everything else with the setup/install of Linux went VERY smoothly!  I use Linux at work now and compared to Windows, it's billions of times more stable.  However, so far I am finding connecting to the internet is still much easier in Windows.  Sorry guys.  *PLEASE* prove me wrong! :)

Dave
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]