Scrap the Linux-Mandrake and get yourself RedHat. Once it's installed,
you'll notice that, at boot, eth0 won't fail. Once that's done, open a
console and type "dhcpcd -DH" and that should get your information. I
actually paid for Linux-Mandrake, but I got Redhat for free from a mag. And
I constabtly use Win95 and NT for everything. I also disagree that only
linux is for people who want to "know" their machines. I find NT the best
overall OS, even though it's more expensive.