I have had this symptom on three computers.  All cheerfully destroyed on the
way to me by the gorillas the shippers hire.  Actually, they were thrown from
the plane into the bed of a pickup truck below, a drop of about 15 feet.

Re-install and check the option "check for bad blocks during format".  Or use
the CD to produce 'tomsrtbt' floppy (look under rescue on the CD)  Once it is
up

#mkfs -c -t ext2 /dev/hdaz

where z is a number corresponding to each and every disk partition you have,
except any windows or BeOS partitions.

Then use a Dos disk to restore the master boot record on the disk (it's what
I do, there may be a better method)

fdisk /mbr

After that, try to install Linux.  If the symptom repeats, then check your
BIOS to see if you have the option of low-level formatting.  If not, I have
the addresses of many vendors of hard disks.

Civileme