On Wednesday 06 Aug 2003 12:05 am, Chris wrote:
> I'm sure I've asked this before and don't believe I got an answer.  Heres
> my situation.  I'm running firestarter, V0.9.0.  When going to grc.com to
> scan my ports it shows 21,23, and 80 open.  Now I've gone to mcc > sytem >
> services and shutdown all the servers I can see that are running.  Another
> scan still shows the same ports open.  The rest of the ports are closed,
> not stealthed as one would assume them to be.  Out of 1056 ports scanned
> two, 0 and 520 were stealth, the rest were closed.  Any assistance would be
> appreciated.
>
> Chris

You do not need a service running for a port to be open. Check your
firestarter configuration.

If you are sure that firestarter does not have open ports for http (80), ftp
(21), and ssh (23), then are you sure grc.com is actually testing your
computer and not your ISPs?  grc.com is not always able to determine your IP
address correctly. Compare the IP address listed by grc.com with your own.

Personally I find that http://scan.sygatetech.com/ is a better firewall test
site.
derek

--