On Wednesday August 13 2003 04:24 pm, Julien Sobrier wrote:
> Sabin, Matthew wrote:
> > Are you using the correct cable?  Cat5 "crossover" cable vs.
> > "normal" cable?
> >
> > Your PC would have connected to the LAN with a normal cable,
> > but the DSL/modem (misnomer) may require a crossover cable to
> > connect to a PC.

      Yes it is a misnomer. It's not a modem as there's nothing to
be modulate/demodulated (analog POTS <> digital) as the DSL input
and output are already digital. It's properly called an ATU-R,
(adsl transceiver unit-remote) but most everybody calls 'em modems
out of old habits.  The Telco's DSLAM is also called an
ATU-C(entral).

> > --Matthew
>
> The connection works under Windows, so I guess I have the good
> cable.
>
> THanks
> Julien

     Julien, try installing rp-pppoe. It's on your CD's. Run (as
root) 'adsl-setup' (w/o the quotes) and answer the half dozen
questions. Your user name should be the whole deal, ie, somethin
like   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For DNS don't enter any, enter 'server' (w/o the quotes).
Typing (as root) 'adsl-start' should do it, 'adsl-stop' to quit

  See Roaring Penguin's site for more information and help
    http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

  Also, Menu | Documentation | Howto's | DSL-Howto is worth a read.
SBC DSL is easy to setup on Mandrake once you have a userID and
password.

     FWIW, I've had SBC DSL for almost a year. A few weeks ago the
connection abruptly slowed by over half. I soon found the problem.
I had the DSL phone line running thru an APC surge protector, which
normally is a good idea. Putting the line straight to the ATU-R
immediately restored full speed. Also I sometimes (actually rarely)
need to power cycle the ATU-R (unplug power, wait a minute, restore
power).  So try that if you feel you've got the connection properly
configured, but can't connect.