Tom Brinkman wrote:
On Wednesday August 13 2003 04:24 pm, Julien Sobrier wrote:

Sabin, Matthew wrote:

Are you using the correct cable?  Cat5 "crossover" cable vs.
"normal" cable?

Your PC would have connected to the LAN with a normal cable,
but the DSL/modem (misnomer) may require a crossover cable to
connect to a PC.

Yes it is a misnomer. It's not a modem as there's nothing to be modulate/demodulated (analog POTS <> digital) as the DSL input and output are already digital. It's properly called an ATU-R, (adsl transceiver unit-remote) but most everybody calls 'em modems out of old habits. The Telco's DSLAM is also called an ATU-C(entral).

Julien, try installing rp-pppoe. It's on your CD's. Run (as root) 'adsl-setup' (w/o the quotes) and answer the half dozen questions. Your user name should be the whole deal, ie, somethin like [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For DNS don't enter any, enter 'server' (w/o the quotes).
Typing (as root) 'adsl-start' should do it, 'adsl-stop' to quit

  See Roaring Penguin's site for more information and help
    http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

Also, Menu | Documentation | Howto's | DSL-Howto is worth a read. SBC DSL is easy to setup on Mandrake once you have a userID and password.
Thank you for the explanation. I tried to use adsl-setup, but it asked me only for my user name, password and dns. Nothing about the provider or anything else. Then, when I ran adsl-start and adsl-connect as root, nothing happend.

When I tried to connect to internet with Drakconf, I can see this error message:
GLib-CRITICAL **: File gmain.c : line 500 (g_source_renovc): asertion `tag>0' Failed
SIOCDELRT: No such process

The first time, Drakconf tried to install rp-ppoe. But it failed because it was looking on internet! So, I installed it manually with the RPM found on my cd. How can I check that the installaion was correct? I didn't have any error message when using urpmi.

THank you
Julien