Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 09:24, Anarky wrote:

you know ... turns out this slowdown only happens when copying from fat32 to fat32 ... when copying from fat32 to linux partition it's constantly at about 9mb/second. Still, acording to your huge test results my hdds might be somehow missconfigured, or is

Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.85 seconds =150.59 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.87 seconds = 34.22 MB/sec

normal for a 7200 rpm 20Gb Ibm drive?

I think that part of the problem IS in the fact that you're copying
FAT32 to FAT32 - what happens when you copy it to ext3 or ReiserFS and
then to FAT32?

like I said in another mail if I copy fat32 to linux partition (don't know what kind exactly, the default installed with mdk 9.1) the speed is constantly fast. But that is one side of it: that copy speed & dropdown.
As I understand these tests (hdparm -tT ) don't have anything to do with the partition type (actually at least on hda I've got like 7 or 8 partitions) ... so maybe there's a problem in general in how my linux works with my hdds?